Data analyst with Data Kind on project involving NLP and text mining to gather data on human trafficking. Work with small team to learn needs of Stop The Traffic, perform variable extraction and document classification to identify trafficking patterns.
Leadership & ServiceI take great joy and pride in being an active and engaged community member in both my academic departments and local communities. Within my department, I seek out opportunities for ongoing education and sharing knowledge to build a graduate student community. I have given talks in Methods and Metascience, organized Data Science workshops, and started an interdisciplinary Social Robotics Journal Club. With my beliefs in transparency and continuous improvement, I have acted as a Student Representative for my program.
Within the greater community I am especially interested in STEAM education for children. I volunteer with STEM Ambassadors working with primary school children in coding fundamentals, where I focus not only on skill building, but on engineering as a collaborate, failure-driven, iterative process. You can find all of my STEM educational lessons on my github.
Volunteer internship with AI for Good working on mixed-method data analysis for project in collaboration with Care Leavers and Spectra to identify obstacles and improve outcomes for children leaving government care. Designed and scoped project with plans to re-join and carryout data analysis in Summer 2021.
Data Science Workshop for Qualitative Grad Students
Team lead for designing, organizing, and teaching 3-day datascience workshop including data mining, visualizations, and website hosting using R and R Studio for novices in qualitative research.
- Started and organized Social Robots Journal Club -- with student members from four departments across the university.
- Organized "Field Trip" to Edinburgh for Social Robotics exhibit.
- Organized "Bring Your Robot To Club" Day for cross-discipline idea exchange..
- On Student committee for department Athena SWAN chapter.
- Designed and implemented initiatives to encourage students to become STEM Ambassadors.
- Implemented metric gathering mechanism to track demographics of seminar and workshop participation.
- Collaborated with sociology department on evaluation metrics and surveys to ensure validity of efficacy reports.
- Volunteer for STEM Ambassador program.
- Participate in career talks and robotics demos for high schoolers.
- Facilitate and mentor high school robotics team.
- Regularly volunteer with primary schools to teach STEAM lessons about team-based engineering.
SRC Class Representative
- Gathered feedback on courses, program structure, and student experience.
- Participated in Student Council meetings to represent program cohort.
- Collaborated with faculty and staff on program and messaging improvements.
- Troupe volunteer for Girl Guiding program, ages 9-11.
- Volunteer weekly with troupe leading leadership and cooperation building skills.
- Supervise weekend trips to museums and venues around Glasgow.
Mentor and Organizer
- Cogito corporate sponsor and technical mentor for Resilient Coders -- an organization which trains non-traditional background adult students to become software developers.
- Developed a 8-week "boot camp" curriculum for two apprenticeships.
- Trained apprentices in software development practices, and in presenting to company.
Volunteer Mentor & Organizer
- Organized and designed engineering curriculum for Cambridge Inventors Club.
- 40 children age 11-13 each term participated weekly in engineering challenges, including engineering design principles like iterative testing and collaborative working.
- Instructor for Girls Who Code program.
- Supplemented given curriculum with weekly lessons on computer science basics.
- Brought in speakers for work presentations, demos, and artists who employ technology in their work.
- Coordinated logistics of club hackathons, speakers, and outreach.
- Led executive board in creating WiCS mission and club constitution.
- Grew club 4x over two years.
Mentor and Organizer
- Instructor and curriculum designer for the Girls Computer Club for secondary school students.
- Recruited 20 girls from local secondary schools.
- Taught computer science basics, including sorting algorithms, pointers, and python basics.