Volunteer internship with (AI for Good)[aiforgood.co.uk] working on mixed-method data analysis for project in collaboration with (Care Leavers)[https://www.careleavers.com/] and (Spectra)[https://spectraconnect.co.uk/] to identify obstacles and improve outcomes for children leaving government care.
Posts by Collection
Data analyst on project involving NLP and text mining to gather data on human trafficking.
Mentor and Organizer
- Instructor and curriculum designer for the Girls Computer Club for secondary school students.
- Recruited 20 girls from local secondary schools.
- Taught computer science basics, including sorting algorithms, pointers, and python basics.
- Coordinated logistics of club hackathons, speakers, and outreach.
- Led executive board in creating WiCS mission and club constitution.
- Grew club 4x over two years.
- Instructor for Girls Who Code program.
- Supplemented given curriculum with weekly lessons on computer science basics.
- Brought in speakers for work presentations, demos, and artists who employ technology in their work.
Volunteer Mentor & Organizer
- Organized and designed engineering curriculum for Cambridge Inventors Club.
- 40 children age 11-13 each term participated weekly in engineering challenges, including engineering design principles like iterative testing and collaborative working.
Mentor and Organizer
- Cogito corporate sponsor and technical mentor for Resilient Coders -- an organization which trains non-traditional background adult students to become software developers.
- Developed a 8-week "boot camp" curriculum for two apprenticeships.
- Trained apprentices in software development practices, and in presenting to company.
- Troupe volunteer for Girl Guiding program, ages 9-11.
- Volunteer weekly with troupe leading leadership and cooperation building skills.
- Supervise weekend trips to museums and venues around Glasgow.
SRC Class Representative
- Gathered feedback on courses, program structure, and student experience.
- Participated in Student Council meetings to represent program cohort.
- Collaborated with faculty and staff on program and messaging improvements.
- On Student committee for department Athena SWAN chapter.
- Designed and implemented initiatives to encourage students to become STEM Ambassadors.
- Implemented metric gathering mechanism to track demographics of seminar and workshop participation.
- Collaborated with sociology department on evaluation metrics and surveys to ensure validity of efficacy reports.
Data Science Workshop for Qualitative Grad Students
Team lead for designing, organizing, and teaching 3-day datascience workshop including data mining, visualizations, and website hosting using R and R Studio for novices in qualitative research.
- Volunteer for STEM Ambassador program.
- Participate in career talks and robotics demos for high schoolers.
- Facilitate and mentor high school robotics team.
- Regularly volunteer with primary schools to teach STEAM lessons about team-based engineering.
- Glasgow Ultimate Society
- Scottish Mountaineering Society
- University of Glasgow Triathalon Team
- Started and organized Social Robots Journal Club -- with student members from four departments across the university.
- Organized "Field Trip" to Edinburgh for Social Robotics exhibit.
- Organized "Bring Your Robot To Club" Day for cross-discipline idea exchange..
- British Computing Society
- British Psychological Society
- Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architecture Society
- Cognitive Science Society
- British Neuroscience Association
- University of Glasgow Robotics Society
- University of Glasgow FemEng
- University of Glasgow Entrepreneurship Society
Tufts University, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Research Assistant for Professor David Kaplan in silk lab.
- Developed directional freezing technique for silk solution.
- Trained in high-powered electron microscopy.
Tufts University, Department of Computer Science
- TA for CS courses: Introductory, Data Structures, Assembly Language Programming, and Machine Learning.
- Ran labs, graded assignments, held open office hours and 1-1 tutoring sessions.
- Participated in redesigning course curriculum for Machine Architecture and Assembly Language Programming.
- Full stack feature development of internal desktop application.
- Developed web APIs and GUI for music annotation tools.
- Employee 20(/110)
- Designed a series of tutorials from ”Getting Started” to advanced usage to onboard internal and external developers.
- Architected data APIs for dev tools to manage robot sensory input from cameras and microphones.
- Implemented frontend UI (React) and developer interfaces to build high-level skills.
- Won inaugural company culture award for "outstanding cultural contributions."
- Designed and implemented robotic bi-axial Emotion System and corresponding impacts on robot behavior.
- Fully implemented and maintained robot listening pipeline (main interface for interaction).
- Full-stack development of Role-Based User Management (RBUM) APIs
- Front-end React feature development
- Continuing work to rearchitect APIs in cloud-based architecture.
- Merged two software teams, technically and personally managed team of 10 full-time engineers.
- Oversaw top-to-bottom development and implementation of three client-facing features.
- Hired and onboarded three product managers, including one for another software team.
- Acted as Scrum master leading agile rituals (standup, planning, retro).
- Implemented and managed release pipeline, and later trained release manager.
Bi-Axial Emotional System
Genetic algorithms applied to LED badges
2019 - 2019-01-07
An academic review of The Neuroscience of Emotion by Adolphs and Andersson.
Recommended citation: Saund, Carolyn. (2019). "Neuroscience of Emotion." The Psychologist. 32(1).
2019 - 2019-01-09
An article on strategies young researchers can adopt in order to responsibly contextualize research to the general public.
Recommended citation: Saund, Carolyn. (2019). "Responsibly reporting neuroscientific findings" Bright Brains. British Neuroscience Association.
2019 - 2019-03-29
An ERASMUS joint effort across 16 universities to foster collaboration and qualitative data analysis methods for students of Psychological Methods. Workshops on Copula Theory, Ising Models, Knowledge Space Theory, as well as a student showcase of an RShiny app.
See app here
See more information about the workshop here
Engineering for Kids!
It’s 2016, and humans don’t give instructions through terminals anymore. The future of interfaces is social. Natural language understanding, conversational dialogs, and subtle social cues are the new instruction set – what challenges exist in the vast field of HCI, and how can current machine learning techniques address them?
FameLab Scottish first runner-up discussing what “smart” technology really means and why calling it “smart” is perhaps a bit of a misnomer.
"Alexa, Read the Room."
Emotions govern so much of human behavior – why are voice agents taking so long to catch up? What does the future of an emotional voice interface look like, and how will the ability to perceive and express emotions influence the development of voice interfaces in the future?
Social Robotics Workshop
What is a social robot? What applications are social robots uniquely suited for, and how can we design interactions that are useful, and socially fulfilling?
There’s earnest self-improvement and criticism, and then there’s crippling self-doubt. Learn techniques to differentiate between subtlties of the two, and identify self-sabotaging behaviors you can mitigate to reach your highest potential.
Glasgow Theater Company
Pannelist and speaker following a production of a play about the role of emotional AI in the future.
University of Glasgow Psychology Department
Introduction to crowdsourcing for scientific data / workshop for Methods and Metascience group (professors and graduate students in UofG Psychology). Slides.
3 Minute Thesis runner-up in postgraduate researchers at University of Glasgow. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yGveWYGQOUE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>